Apply to be a 2017-2018 H.E.R.O.E.S. Intern
The H.E.R.O.E.S. work in groups to understand the health behaviors of UC Merced students, develop programs that promote healthy choices, direct students to appropriate resources and advocate for a campus and community environment that encourages healthy living. Upon successful completion of the first year as a volunteer intern, continuing interns will be eligible for paid positions within the organization.
Program Requirements and Responsibilities
- Attend all of the following mandatory events.
- Initial training: August 15-23
- Weekly training: Fridays from 1-2:30 p.m., beginning September 2
- Weekly group meetings: Meeting day/time will be determined by group members' availability
- Maintain a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative G.P.A.
- Commit to the program for the entire 2017-2018 academic year, both fall and spring semesters.
- Dedicate at least 5 hours per week to the program.
- Design, implement and evaluate educational programs which require a certain level of comfort with public speaking, teamwork and interpersonal communication.
- Act as a referral source for students.
- Be open minded, understanding and respectful of others at all times.
Completion of the Bobcat Leadership Series, a Level 1 Certification offered by the Margo F. Souza Student Leadership Center, is a preferred qualification for employment in this position. While not required, completion of BLS will help you in the hiring process. For more information, visit the Souza Center website.
Selection Process Timeline
- March 18: Application must be submitted by noon. Only completed applications will be considered.
- April 4-8: First interviews (individual)
- April 11-15: Second interviews (group)
- April 21: Offers to join the H.E.R.O.E.S. program will be made by email. Individuals who are not selected to be in the program will also be contacted via email.
- April 29: Mandatory orientation for all 2016-2017 H.E.R.O.E.S. interns from 9-10:30 a.m.