Are you eligible to receive CalFresh?
You may qualify for CalFresh if you answer "yes" to questions 1 and 2 below:
Household size is defined as a person living alone or a group of people living together who buy food and prepare meals together.
- For example if you are student living off-campus who buys and prepares food alone you may be considered a household of one (even if you have housemates)
1. Is your household's GROSS monthly income (before taxes and deduction with the limits in the chart below?
People in Household
Gross Monthly Income
Maximum CalFresh Allotment*
8 $6,888 $1,153
*Minimum amount is $15/month*
Each additional household is member is +$144
2. Are you a student between the ages 18 and 49, enrolled in at least 6 units, have no meal plan (or have a meal plan that provides ten or less of your meals/week) AND do you meet any ONE of the following requirements?
- Working and getting paid for an average of 20 hours per week OR a total of 80 hours a month
- Approved (or awarded or accepted) for federal or state work study, anticipates working, and has not refused a work assignment (can still be eligible even if a work study job has not begun or is not currently available)
- Receiving Cal Grant A or B AND is not married, 25 years of age or younger and has income les than $50,000
- Be enrolled in a program that increases employability for current and former foster youth (Guardian Scholars, FYSI, CAFYES, ETV, or Extended Foster Care)
- Be exerting parental control over a department household member under the age of 6 OR between the age of 6 and 12 with no adequate childcare (as determined by the country on a case-by-case basis)
- Be a single arent of a dependent household member under the age of 12 AND enroleld full-time (12+ units)
- Participating in the CalFresh Employment and Training Program (CFET) or ber a recipient of CalWorks or AFDC (Aid to Familes with Dependent Children)
Other things to consider:
- Unpaid internships or volunteer work do not count towards the work requirement
- Students who live with their parents must be 22 years of age or older to apply as an individual household
- International, DACA, and DREAM students may not be eligible, even with a work VISA/SSN
- Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) may not be eligible
- Students with a state certified disability only need to meet basic eligibility
If you think you are eligible or are still not sure, please click here to begin the application process with our CalFresh Outreach Team.